Monday, September 21, 2009

Recipe of the Day

I have had quite a few requests for recipes and thought my neglected blog would be an effective place to post them for all to utilize and hopefully, enjoy. At times, I will probably ramble on about other things but will make an effort to regularly post the details of what is cooking in the Ferry house.

Food is one of my passions. Any time I feel stressed or like my head is spinning and I am unable to truly accomplish anything that stays accomplished, I head to the kitchen for some good cooking. So, join me in my journey of trying to find inexpensive, healthy, man and kid-friendly meals. Enjoy!

Recipe of the Day -
Kitchen Sink Popsicles -

Background - I am always trying to find a way to pump health fruits and veggies into my kids while utilizing the items left in my refrigerator or found in the discount section of the grocery store. Several recipes lend themselves to this strategy (Kitchen Sink Fritatta, Quiche, Stews/Soups, Blender Lasagna, etc!) but today we will focus on Popsicles.

Recipe -
Fruit - canned, frozen, fresh, wilted, bruised...whatever!
Sweetener (if necessary to your taste) - agave (my favorite), honey, coffee syrups (vanilla, raspberry etc), vanilla extract etc!
Thinner - (if necessary) water, juice, leftover juice from canned fruits, pedialite if the kids are sick etc.

Instructions - Blend the heck out of it and pour it into Popsicle molds (my favorites are those found at Goodwill!) and freeze. I have also frozen Popsicles in ice cube trays with Popsicle sticks for handles; popped them out when frozen and put the Popsicles in gallon size bag for long-term storage in freezer.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

David & Beth Roberts said...

now i'm curious about the other recipes that you mentioned:)

Chris, Tina, Georgia and Reese said...

Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

Had never thought about putting them in a freezer bag!!! Great Idea!!! Now I can make more than six a week! Thanks dear friend:0
Jes