Sunday, October 11, 2009

Recipe of the Day

On a cold, cloudy day hearty food always seems to hit the spot. Today we sat around the table as a family and had Sunday dinner. Each of us took turns telling silly stories, choosing our favorite things about our house and making lists of the things for which we are most thankful. What fun.

Recipe of the Day - Boiled Dinner

Description - My grandma made boiled dinner for my mom, my mom for me and now I make it for my kids. Boiled Dinner is a great low-budget meal with very little prep and clean-up!

Ingredients -
Kielbasa Sausage (my mom made beef kielbasa, I make turkey kielbasa)
Carrots (1 large carrot per person, peeled and cut into 3 inch sections)
Potatoes (my mom used russet, I use whatever I have on hand; cut into quarters)
Cabbage (peel off 1st layer of cabbage and cut cabbage into 6 wedges)
Water

Directions -
Place cut potatoes and carrots in the bottom of a large stock pot and cover with cold water. (Be sure to just cover the veggies or your cabbage will get too soggy.) Place cabbage wedges so they rest just on top of the carrots and potatoes. Place sausage so it rests just on top of the cabbage and does not touch the water. Put a lid on the pot and bring water to a boil and lower temperature to a medium heat. Allow pot to cook with lid on until potatoes are fork tender and cabbage is steamed to your liking.

To serve - Cover with butter, salt and pepper or use an ungodly amount of ketchup like my husband! My kids enjoy eating the potatoes, carrots and sausage diced and poking it with a toothpick for fun eats. To each his own. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Amazing Vicki said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Dave's mom was going to teach me when we were in Cape Coral but never got around to it. Have you tried it in the crockpot?