Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Freegan Schmeegan ???

Well, some of you may have heard of Freeganism but if you haven't I'm posting the definition off Wikipedia for your review and then I'll get on with my blog...

"Freeganism is an anti-consumerist lifestyle whereby people employ alternative living strategies based on "limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."[1] The lifestyle involves salvaging discarded, unspoiled food from supermarket dumpsters that have passed, or in some cases haven't even passed, their sell by date, but are still edible and nutritious. They salvage the food not because they are poor or homeless, but as a political statement."

So, the thought of dabbling in the freegan lifestyle has been swirling around my busy brain. Living in an area of town that is visibly wasteful makes me wonder if I'm missing a great opportunity to benefit from my neighbor's (specifically my neighborhood's grocery store's) over-stocking and waste.

On the flip side, digging through a trash can at 10:30 at night makes my nerves crimp up a bit. Doesn't that seem extreme? Or, would it be worth it and maybe even a bit exhilarating?

Until I reach some form of an opinion I'll be searching websites and looking for your input...

5 comments:

Crysti said...

Seriously? Dumpster diving?? I guess I see the point, but I'm not sure I could go that far. I'm interested in seeing what you do though my friend!

Lori Lynn said...

I've been reading about this lately too. The dumpster diving seems to be on the extreme end. Many people simply take a vow not to buy anything new for a year or more. They shop at savers or good will. There are many websites online that allow you to trade or give away your used things and to be able to get things that you are looking for that others are giving away. Here's a link that I use a lot
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecyclelittleton/#ans
You should also check with your local grocery store. I know the one I go to gives a lot of their waste away to the Denver Rescue Mission and other such places. Ask around and see what you can discover. I'm with Crysti...I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Anonymous said...

I saw a show on Oprah about this topic...you can search her website and find some info about it. Here is a link to the search results:

http://www.oprah.com/search/search_results.jsp?origin=60&brand=oprah&qsource=1&querystring=freegan&fromSearchPage=yes&_DARGS=%2FIncludes%2Fincl_packages_search.jhtml

It is definitely interesting. I think it is a little over the top for me. I am going to concentrate on buying less and not wasting food in our house. We also put in a garden this year so we will have fresh produce for the season. I also really like the idea of supporting local farmers by enrolling in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program. You get fresh fruits and vegetables each week (during the growing season). Eat local! To find your local CSA go to:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

I think there are other ways to make a statement without dumpster diving. Just my thougts!

Anonymous said...

I think you're already a borderline Freegan. I mean who else's children have never even heard of a "toy store"? Have never reveled in the overconsumerism of a Super Walmart?

So hey, why not add dumpster diving to your list? :-)

From now on though, we eat at my house.

mamarach said...

You have stirred the pot once again my friend :) But yeah after carrying everything on my back for 3 days I'm all about streamlining. Since I've been back all I've bought is $1.50 of frames at goodwill, and bananas, grapes, and corn on the cob (at the grocery store :)).