Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ah Hah!

It's been a lazy morning of laying in bed for a time after waking, staggering into kitchen to warm my coffee that Chris placed by my bedside two hours earlier and falling onto the couch and watching the rest of my TiVo'd movie, Maid in Manhattan. Yes, it's a chick-flick and I actually enjoyed it! These days, I can use all the happy endings I can get.

Anyway, something struck me. Near the end of the movie when J-Lo was being canned for canoodling with the to-be Senator her butler-boss said, "You know, we do serve but it doesn't define who we are. We serve with dignity and great care. We may serve them but we aren't their servants." While lounging with my feet propped on the end of my sofa I began to think. That applies to me! I'm great at serving, assisting and coordinating but it's not glamorous or reputable. I have always been self conscious of the fact that I served for a living. "Assistant" had such a lowly connotation. Now, I know what God says about serving and it's good but that single line stirred up that thought process within me again. So, where ever God leads me next, assistant or not, I will remember, to serve is dignified; whether serving my family, my husband or as a career.

No comments: