Thursday, May 29, 2008

Precious In Pink...

For days Georgia has been asking Chris to have her fingernails painted pink. It's amazing how she picks up on these things because I generally do not have my nails painted and don't really encourage her to be "beautified" but never the less she wanted pink nails. So, yesterday I painted her nails. It was such a special moment with her sitting so still as not to smudge her paint and getting so concerned over the fact that it could come off when she washes her hands. After much reassurance, Georgia washed her hands and came out of the bathroom with a huge sigh of relief!

Anyway, while we were painting nails she asked me why my fingernails weren't painted and I told her I really don't like my fingernails painted, just my toes. (Polish on my fingers makes me claustrophobic! I know, commit me now...) Then she asked why I have red polish and not pink and I told her it's because I like red polish better. (Truly it's because I need all the hubby sex-appeal I can get so I go with red to counteract the hairy legs!! I figure it's a wash.) Georgia then began to talk about how it's okay that we like different things because we love each other no matter what. I was so proud and, in with my dig-deeper tendency, I took it a bit further with a light talk about people's differences in hair color, skin color, favorite things etc. We talked about race, gender and nationality. Who knew this could all come from nail polish?!

It was a joy to breathe in the moment and look into G's eyes which were filled with a plentiful measure of joy and curiosity. By far, my favorite moment of the day.

4 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

Those are the moments to savor. It always amazes me that the littlest things bring about the greatest discussions/lessons with my kids.

Anonymous said...

SO SWEET!
JES

Anonymous said...

That is so funny that you had that experience this week (nail polish). Sophia also wanted her nails painted this week (gold!) and was afraid to wash her hands in case the polish would come off. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

You have inspired me! I have been in a slump in the cooking department and your lists (shocking from you!) and plans to make a meal everynight and have it planned out a week in advance (which I use to do but have gotten away from) has encouraged me to take a leap and try new things. I have started making lists again and they have kept me organized and focused!

Thanks!
Love you,
Jes