Thursday, July 17, 2008

Lovely Library...

I had some time to myself yesterday and meandered over to the local library. You see, it's not so often that I have the opportunity to stroll through the aisles and flip through books that I wouldn't normally seek in my kid-induced frenzy. And, let me tell you, it was just lovely.

I discovered that I can now check out magazines and that the library does actually have a decent collection of Jazz and Blues cd's! (I suggest the 2005 New Orleans Benefit CD) But enough library ranting... During my library stroll I found a recently published book called, "New European Poets". I've always enjoyed poetry and thought I'd pick it up for a short read here and there. Mornings on the Ground is one of my favorites so far. I think her line break placement is interesting. Hope you enjoy.

Mornings on the Ground
by Rosa Alice Branco, Portugal

To accept the day. What will come.
To pass through more streets than houses,
more people than streets. To pass through
skin to the other side. While I make
and unmake the day. Your heart
sleeps with me. It wraps me up at night
and the mornings are cold when I get up.
And I'm always asking where you are and why
the streets no longer are rivers. At times
a drop of water falls to the ground
as if it were a tear. At times
there isn't ground enough to soak it up.

1 comment:

Lori Wilson said...

Ah, time by myself at the library. Maybe I should add that to my 100 list. it doesn't happen for me anymore. Someday...someday.