Sunday, January 13, 2008

Twisted Tendencies

I just got back from a quick getaway with my sister and mom to celebrate my mom's birthday. We went to Glenwood and had a nice time giggling, eating and just hanging out. (I had soup for lunch today to help curb the overindulgence!!)

Friday night my mom went to bed early and my sister and I were staring at each other wondering what to do next. Keep in mind that two boring mommy's don't have staring time very often! So, we decided to head to the hotel lobby and grab some extra towels and happened by the hotel bar for a night-cap. The scene? Small bar, about to close, filled with locals reviewing their paycheck stubs after the weeks work. Conclusion? A very happening scene.

Long story short, my sister left her seat for a moment and I was left watching a re-run of the Nugs game on flat-screen. Two young guys were sitting just down the bar and I noticed that one of the was looking my way quite frequently. First I was confused and then I quickly caught on and pretended to watch the game very intently with shoulders turned away from said on-looker. Despite my body language he introduced himself and began a conversation. I obliged and my sister joined us. After chatting it quickly came out that I was married with 2 kids. The conversation changed a bit and I was sure the guys (25!) were done with the moldy mommies but NO! Turns out the next day out of no-where they appeared at the hot-springs (despite their plans to ski that day) in an effort to arrange a rendezvous later that night. Can you believe it!? Apparently marriage and children doesn't take you out of the game! Shameful. But, sadly, a little flattering.

So, my question is this. Why is it more flattering (and sometimes exhilarating) when some strange guy finds you attractive and approaches you than when a husband or friend say the exact same thing? Why should some stranger's opinion stand for more than a person you value and trust? Yet another twisted tendency, I think. You?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Can't say that's happened to me since I've been married. Hmm.

I'm guessing the answer is because all women have to need to hear they're beautiful. Right?

Lori Lynn said...

I think it's because we have given in to the lie that those we love HAVE to think we're beautiful/smart/funny. I think a better question is Why don't we believe the ones we love? It is nice to know that we could still be on the scene if we wanted to.

Lori Lynn said...

btw...I'm glad you got confirmation of what we all already know. You're one hot milf.

The Amazing Fosters said...

My capacity to hear that I am beautiful and sexy knows no bounds. There is no way Dave could keep up with my need to be reaffirmed (even though he does better now with the reminders I programmed in his cell phone).

I actually came online to share something with you that I read in my quiet time this morning. Something I long for but don't do well from "Streams in the Dessert".

This is the blessed life - not anxious to see far down the road, not overly concerned about the next step, not eager to choose the path nor weighted down with the heavy responsibilities of the future, but quietly following the Shepherd, one step at a time.

I suck at that! But I was really encouraged to read the reminder.

Love you.