Thursday, January 10, 2008

Walmart, Walschmart

In an effort to save even more money in the new year I've given in and shopped at Super Walmart for groceries for the first time ever! Know this, I've poo-pooed Walmart for a long time because of the fact that just walking into the gigantic store raises my blood-pressure. The tall shelves piled high with everything you can imagine, people pushing two carts; one filled with children and the other filled with Mac'n'Cheese. Oh yes, and the fact that you have to pick up your own bags from that twirly thing!! It all just makes my head spin. BUT, in an effort to relieve financial stress I trudged into Walmart territory with list in hand.

So, I sit down by my computer this morning ready to blog a little something and take a bite of the Walmart apple I bought two days ago and it's mushy and rotten!!! Worth a few saved pennies? I think not!

Are any of you successful with Walmart groceries or should I just jump ship now?

6 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

We tried to do the Walmart thing for a while but were not truly satisfied. One of my biggest complaints was that their produce just is not as fresh as a regular grocery store. I've found that the money I "waste" going to the grocery store is less than or equal to the amount of money I was throwing in the garbage with my rotten veggies. We also found that we tended to spend MORE money when we went to Walmart because of all the non-grocery items we came home with. I still go to Walmart once in a while, but I hate to buy groceries there unless it's absolutely necessary.

Kendra said...

I tried the Walmart thing too!! On something like canned goods and stuff like that, that is usually cheaper, but produce I've found is NOT good. So I just end up doing all my shopping at the grocery store! Plus I'm right next to the grocery store, the money I spend on gas probably wipes out any savings I would have made!

mamarach said...

Shop grocery store sales (buy one get one free, etc) and you will come out ahead. And yeah, I agree their produce bites it. Like you don't want to bite it :)

Anonymous said...

EEEewwwww! That's all I have to say about Walmart's produce and meat. You don't even want to hear the story my friend told me about maggots in her cereal, do you?

The only food things I buy there are the foods on sale in the middle of the big aisle. Other than that, Soopers is my King.

Jeremy said...

Walmart produce and meat sucks. Pretty much all there is to say!

I want Rach to spend as little as possible on food, but nothing is worth grocery shopping at Sprawlmart.

Anonymous said...

I HATE WALMART!!!! Their food is old, thier prices are not all that great and the PEOPLE!!! AGGGHHH!!! They drive me crazy not only in the cheap store but in the PARKING LOT!!! I have NEVER been to a Walmart parking lot where I wasn't nearly rear ended, run over or claustrophobic! I only go there if I HAVE TOO! I buy tortillias for Matt that have the least amout of Sodium of any I have ever seen and then for applesauce that is just apples and Vit C, NO ADDITIVES!!! These are the ONLY things I buy there and I stock up when I go so it will be months before I have to return!!!!
jes