Sunday, December 2, 2007

The mess of success...

Chris and I have been working on goal setting for the last year or so. We've had many conversations dreaming about our potential life and how lovely it would be to have a little house in Europe, another on a beach and another in the mountains... Matching Hummers (that's Chris!), matching track suits (that's me when I'm slap happy), and for me to have two boobs that match in size and don't droop down to my toes (that's Dr. 90210)!! BUT, this is all a dream. A dream that isn't necessarily realistic to really create the life that we really want; the life that's best for us.

So, after much non-sense we've come down to this one question: How do we define success?

Often, we measure our lives against our upbringing, pop-culture or even, our laziness and tendency to just make it from one day to another. My whole being is desperately fighting against this mentality. I'm tired of just putting one foot in front of the other; I want to drive towards something. Not money, not fame but a life that stands out; a life that digs deep; a life that changes people (including myself); a life that brings meaning to all the difficult times. I want to succeed according to my terms; God's terms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tina,

My sweet woman - you are reaching a goal - raising your beautiful girls. Some days are full of daisies, kisses and hugs and others are mired in tears and mud. The fact that you are Chris are a team is a huge goal - and working together - Wow! I admire and envy that team work.

You are ahead of the game by knowing that money doesn't equal success. Listen to your heart and don't forget your passions and your sense of non-sense.

Every day is a gift. Your daughters are ultimate treasure from God - entrusted to you and Chris. If you can - find one thing every day that takes your breath away - one part of God's world that makes you stop and connect with your spirit.

Thank you for the invitation to your blog. Clare and I think of you, Chris and your girls often and miss you so very much.
I love you.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

I have to say that in the changing lives part, you are a success too. Your openness and willingness to talk about so many things has been really impactful in my life! I sure appreciate getting to know you lately!
You do bring up something interesting to think about though. It is so difficult to feel that you are being successful when you "just" get dinner on the table and kids loved on every day. Kids are such a longer term success and even then you don't know how they'll turn out!
I also think that the fact that you and Chris are a pretty good team is a success. It is all in the measuring I guess.