Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Boring Ancestry?

In an effort to tap into my ancestry, I've been trying to get though Henrik Ibsen's "A Doll House and Other Plays". (For those of you who don't know, my maiden name is Ibsen) After one too many inquiries from supermarket attendants asking, "How do you like his work?" I decided about two years ago that I must read at least the most popular of his plays, "A Doll House". Needless to say, the book is still on my bed stand with a book mark sadly only a few acts into his first play. It's BORING!! What does that say about my family legacy?!

I feel like I've tried everything to get through it and now I'm employing the Dr. Seuss approach to reading, "Have you read it in your bed?, Have you read it standing on your head?, Have you read in in the morning?, Have you read it in the night?, Have you read it flying a kite?, Have you read it after two double espressos?, Have you read it so the supermarket attendant can be impresso-ed?"

God help me if I try again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cracked me up! There's some Tina-spice. (hey, maybe the Spice Girls need a Tina-Spice?).

2 things:
My grandfather has written like 3 books (low budget, not famous) and I haven't been able to bring myself to read them either! I actually made one of my friends read the first one and give me a book report. Lame? Totally.

2nd thing:
I know what you mean about documenting your thoughts. But that actually brings up a good point I've been meaning to ask you about: do you ever regret what you say? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should. But you're so open all the time...I ask because I find myself regretting things I've said "the next day". But I'm an over-analyzer. Are you? I like your confidence so I was just wondering.

Lori Lynn said...

hehehe, there's nothing worse than reading a BORING play. Yuck! I've read some really boring ones in my time. How is Henrik Ibsen related to you?