Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Present of Being Present...

The simplest moments are when we let go of the to-do list and focus on what is happening right then and there. It is a constant argument of mine that running for a camera seeking that perfect picture to capture the perfect moment actually ruins the moment! (To some extent, this is an excuse for my lifelong lack of photographic documentation...) However, I do believe there is some truth to this concept. We are so often absent from our own lives and I'm working on being more present in my own.

I was just sitting on the couch with Georgia and Reese. My normal self would have taken advantage of the moment and read a book for 20 minutes or edge vacuumed the furry carpet. Thankfully, something in me said, "Sit still!". Both girls snuggled up and we giggled and just enjoyed each other. What a refreshing moment! No fur-free carpet or eye-opening autobiography would have given me such joy and fresh perspective.

2 comments:

mamarach said...

Wow girl we must be sharing a brain on this one. Check out my entry on "good advice". So true. So good.

Lori Lynn said...

I see rach already commented on this one. I want to quote her on taking photos, "Just because I don't have a picture of it doesn't mean it didn't happen."