Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Where's my time warp?

Every day I'm puzzled by my lack of time and accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, I know that cooking three healthy meals a day, playing with 2 feisty girls, and finishing the 2nd load of dishes while still having a moment to sniff my armpits and make an attempt to remember the last time I took a shower is a great deal to jam into one day. BUT, there's still more. The to-do lists grow longer, not shorter. I don't veg in front of the TV for hours on end, I don't surf the net, I don't read a novel a day or browse through catalogs and at the end of each day I look around my house and can't believe that I only chipped away an itty-bitty section of what needed to be done that day.

So, in an effort to fix the problem, (no, I'm not one of those women who like to just talk about their issues, believe me, I want to fix them!) I am thinking through and analyzing each part of my daily schedule and trying to find the time warp that must be lingering somewhere between spiking the mac-n-cheese with squash puree and kissing the girls goodnight. I have yet to find my so eagerly sought solution.

Please share with me your time saving tricks and daily schedules. How do you make it through the day and fall into bed with a sense of accomplishment? What part of your day is a non-negotiable mainstay and what part would you discard for more time?

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

well...to be honest 2007 was the year that i stepped away from my little black book. you heard it straight - only birthdays and other important events were written down - no lists. i stopped feeling like there was a looming disaster awaiting me if i forgot something. i'm responsible enough to get it done (i think). heck...it's november and i think i'm happier for it...

Lori Lynn said...

let's see...my time saving advice...I have a coffee pot that I can set the night before so that when I wake up my coffee is ready to go. No more fumbling with filters and grounds and the right amount of water pre-coffee.
In the book Purpose Driven Life the author says God has given you enough time in one day to do what He wants you to do. And a good friend of mine gave me advice that I love. She said, "Tell your friends that if you want to visit me stop by anytime, if you want to see my house, call first."

I try to take a daily bath (my shower doesn't count) to destress and just feel more relaxed. For me catching up on my email and keeping in touch with my friends gives me tons of energy. If I spend a few minutes every day doing this I am more likely to be able to attach my to-do lists with more energy and enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

I can't say that I have any time warp busting ideas at all. I do veg in front of the tv - that's my knitting time. I'm amazed at how disciplined you are with your time, I WISH I could be more that way. I make lists too and items seem to take a while to get knocked off of the lists. I dunno.
I guess that spending time with the kids is such a big and important "to-do" and so different from any work list that I ever had before that the rest of the stuff just isn't going to get done. I've just decided that this is my life and I like it! (That took some doing though, had to change my mindset...) Hope that any of that makes sense!!!)