Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Saving money...

Some of you may know that I am constantly trying to find new ways to save money while not putting myself out too much.

My latest find? Dry or powdered milk. Yes, I know it doesn't taste the same but think about it this way. Odds are, you didn't like coffee, tea, wine or even low-fat ice cream when you first tasted it but over time it has become something you really enjoy.

Get this, powdered milk is fat-free and can be mixed with less water to make creamer or a half-and-half like product. I've used it in baking or sauces in which I would usually use milk. (bread, muffins, pancakes, soups, macaroni and cheese, etc.)

I've been substituting powdered milk in my cooking for the last month or so and Chris hasn't even noticed. (And believe me, he's very picky about his food...) The savings? Every time I go through a box of powdered milk I know I've saved about $5. That's almost two Starbucks Americanos!

Do you have any money saving ideas? I would certainly like to hear them!

3 comments:

Chris, Tina, Georgia and Reese said...

I just read my own posting of "Saving Money" and realized that I am way too excited about powdered milk! Ahhh...the joys of being a stay at home mom!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny Tina! We all get excited about little things! But just think, all those little things add up to big stuff - like lattes or shoes or something cool like that!
btw - you feeling ok? I got the gut bug and I hear that Elise is throwing up today too. Church seems to be toxic this week. Lots of kids from teh awana sleepover got sick too.

mamarach said...

Ok, so I'm going to rebel and not leave a comment about saving money but about sneaking in healthy stuff while cooking. Like whole wheat flour in place of regular and applesauce in place of oil. Nobody notices and it actually tastes better!