Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mascara at the stop light...

While applying my mascara at a stop light on the way to church Georgia asked me if she could have some make-up to wear to church. Of course, I replied, "No, baby! You're gorgeous just the way you are!" Then I thought, what message am I sending her? Mommy's not gorgeous just the way she is? It's part of my mommy to-do list to raise girls with great self worth and now I wonder... Do I have great self worth? How am I communicating this to my girls? Does make-up on my not so gorgeous sleep deprived face contribute to self assured young ladies? I know makeup is a cultural and let's be honest, necessary part of most of our days BUT what are we teaching the next generation about self worth, self esteem and painting themselves beautiful?

1 comment:

Lori Lynn said...

hmmm...you've given me something to think about...as usual. I like makeup, and I love to play with it, but I've never thought about what it teaches my kids.