Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sex out of the city...

Read at your own risk... Honest content to follow...

I just returned from a weekend spent in Estes Park with a couple girlfriends from church. We filled our time with the usual weekend-away activities: hikes, shopping, hot tubs, very little sleep and TALKING. More specifically, we talked about sex; honest, up-front, respectful sex talk but still shocking and eye opening.

I was enlightened. The only sex input we get is from things like Sex and the City, prime time television or worse, that old lady on channel 70 very late at night (Suzie Creepy or whatever her name is...). It took time for the ladies to open up but after many a red face it became easier and it was fun and helpful. Why don't we talk to our girlfriends more about this? Yes, I know, IT'S PRIVATE but we talk about all our other problems and let's be honest, sex at some point is a major problem. By receiving input and encouragement we can begin to chip away at even the most private areas of our lives and make real progress.

...just my thoughts and reflection after very little sleep and a fabulous time away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure wish I could've been there for that! :-) I'm wondering what specifically was shocking but I guess you can't elaborate on that here...

Anonymous said...

It was really really great! I talked about it a bit with Aaron last night - no details except for mine :) But I told him it was really cool to talk about it in a grown up, non silly, totally respectful way with other Christian women in loving relationships. Now I have some research to do!
The rest of the time was great too!
Crysti

Lori Lynn said...

You know I would love to talk about this subject any time. I've wondered often to myself why it is that this one topic is so off limits in Christian circles. Everything else is open to discussion except for sex. Christian women need some how to just as much as anyone else.

Kendra said...

Shoot...sounds like I missed a good weekend. I am up for talking about this subject too. Do you all have a hard time bringing the subject up with your husbands? I do sometimes...just curious if I'm the only one.

Anonymous said...

Nope Kendra, I dont' think you're the only one. Aaron & I have talked a bit since I've been home but it is hard. Don't want to hurt any feelings or be embarassed or anything. But I think that it is something we should be able to talk about more freely - it would make it better for both of us!

Chris, Tina, Georgia and Reese said...

Yes, talking about sex with your spouse is difficult. Because of health issues at the beginning of our marriage I had to get over the discomfort very quickly!
Here are my strategies:
Be more positve than negative
Always talk outside of the bedroom when sex is not an option.
Ask him questions too and be willing to receive the response without being emotional or offended.
Isn't it great to get this stuff out there?!